A Memorial
Commemorating the location of
Soldiers Cemetery
Within Mt. Evergreen Cemetery



The Memorial
Dedicated August 9, 2014



...

During the Civil War many hospitals were located in lower Michigan where most of the recruiting was taking place. There was one of these located in Jackson, in what is now Casler Hardware, located at 125 North Jackson St.

The records of this hospital have lost to time, but what we do know is that when the 20th and 26th Infantry Regiments were being organized at "Camp Jackson" on the northern edge of the city, this hospital served them and their medical needs.

When Camp Blair was opened in early 1864, the downtown medical facility was closed and by late spring a new hospital, located within that camp, began providing medical service to soldiers until well after the end of the war. As with the "old" facility, the records have been lost, but through letters, diaries, and other research, some insight has been given to what took place at these places.

Soon the need for burying ground became apparent. The U.S. Army Quartermaster purchased from the City Cemetery, two sections of burial plots, each with a capacity of 20 graves. The description reads:
"The SOLDIERS CEMETERY at Jackson MI, forms part of the city cemetery, which is situated in the south part of the city. It contains two lots, each 20x30 ft, and is beautifully located

Interments of deceased Union soldiers commenced here in the early part of 1864 and were completed in the latter part of 1865. The graves are provided by suitable headboards.

The lots are separated buy walks, and are embellished by a large quantity of shrubbery. The soldiers' lot is surrounded by the fence which encloses the entire cemetery."


The Soldiers Cemetery as it was found in 1996.
It was in 1996 when our camp members were performing investigations and inventorying Civil War veterans, in this cemetery, when three damaged, but upright stones were noticed. The camp conducted a thorough investigation of the grounds and found remnants of six additional grave stones, where the soldiers name and regiment could be identified. The cemetery had no records of these graves as it was presumed the records were lost in a fire many years ago. We had determined there was two rows and determined the locations of these nine stones. Those stones were ordered from the Federal Government and were installed in 1997

When it came time to replace those stones many of the brothers of Camp No. 7 did the actual digging and locating of those stones. Once we learned more of the details, especially that there were two plots, it was many months before we learned where the the second plot was located... up the hill a bit and further east.

Over the next four years, when the remainder of the new stones were received the first stones had to be dug up and relocated according to the U. S. Roll of Honor. This alone was a big job and even more members of the Camp participated. To make the job even harder, some stones were sent with improper markings and had to be replaced and we even had one stone come in the form of a Confederate burial stone, that came to a point at the top.

Shortly after the names were placed on the internet, (Click here to see the names and history of the soldiers buried within the Soldiers Cemetery) a man who lived in Florida contacted us about his ancestor, Orson Hurlbut, who was a member of the 6th Michigan Infantry, who was buried in the "Soldiers Cemetery" in Jackson. After extensive research it was learned there was a cemetery with-in a cemetery and it was located in Mount Evergreen. It was also found that the U.S. Army had documented both plots including the names of the soldier buried in each grave.


The Soldiers Cemetery re-dedicated in 2005.
By 2004 a complete restoration of this "cemetery" was completed by members of Camp No. 7. In 2005 a dedication program was performed and a temporary marker put in place to let visitors to the area know what they were seeing.

On August 9, 2014, thanks to the generous donations of several local businesses, the City of Jackson Park Department, and the assistance of


The The temporary marker installed in 2005.
Centec Casting, in Freemont Ohio, the Austin Blair Camp was able to put the finishing touch on a project that has been on-going for almost 20 years.

Our members would like to thank those who made this event possible. A very hearty HAZZAH! to Brother Mike Maillard, who's tireless energy brought all of this together. To Consumers Energy Economic Development Director, Allan Hooper, Baily Sand and Gravel, President Jerry Bailey, Jackson Monument Company Owner, Chris John, Centec Casting, and the City of Jackson-Parks Department. Without the help of these folks, and their commitment to this country's veterans, this project very possibility would have never been completed. .

.

.


Brother Mike Maillard stands with the memorial monument 2014.

Return to Austin Blair home page.