Auxiliary

to the

Sons of Union Veterans

of the Civil War

Austin Blair Camp No. 7






Auxiliary
Home Page
Auxiliary
Roster
Up Coming
Events
Past
Events
Auxiliary
Purpose
Auxiliary
History
Eligibility to
Join
Austin Blair
Home Page

~ History of the Auxiliary ~


The history of the Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans is closely associated with the Grand Army of the Republic which was founded in 1866 and the Allied Orders who were later formed to continue their work. Post 94 of the Grand Army, Philadelphia, in 1878 created a Cadet Corps which later became the Sons of Union Veterans. Similar units were organized throughout many neighboring States. In 1882, the first session of the Commandery-In-Chief, Sons of Veterans was held at Pittsburgh, Penn.

In later years, the name was changed to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. The need for an Auxiliary was soon recognized and through the efforts of Major A.P. Davis, the first Ladies Aid Society was organized at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1883 and in the following year was officially recognized as their Auxiliary. Ladies Aid Societies were formed in several States in rapid succession and in 1886 plans for a National Organization were formed, with the first National Encampment being held in Akron, Ohio, September 1887. At the National Encampment at Boston, Massachusetts in 1894, the name was changed to the Sons of Union Veterans Auxiliary, with it eventually becoming known as the Auxiliary to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.



Auxiliary
Home Page
Auxiliary
Roster
Up Coming
Events
Past
Events
Auxiliary
Purpose
Auxiliary
History
Eligibility to
Join
Austin Blair
Home Page